Natural open space  Boating area

Guldlin Park    

Size in acres: 8.2

Since 1897

Guldlin Park is located at Van Buren Street and Michaels Avenue along the St. Mary's River.
For more detailed location information, check out the General Park Map or Guldlin Park Map 

History:  Purchased in 1897 for seven thousand dollars, the land that would become Guldlin Park was originally intended to be used as the location of a water pumping station. Before construction began, it was decided that the station should be built on the other side of St. Mary's River, and the originally proposed plot of land was left vacant. It was at that point that Mr. Olaf N. Guldlin, realizing that the land would make a fine children's park, donated the necessary playground equipment that would make his idea a reality.

This park overlooks the St. Mary's River and today has a boat ramp and fishing access as well as natural open space.

Griswold Playlot

Griswold Avenue Playlot
     

Size in acres: .57

Since 1931

Griswold Playlot is located off of Elizabeth Street on Griswold Drive. For more detailed location information, check out the General Park Map, or Griswold Park Map 

History

Griswold Park is named after Bert J. Griswold.  Mr. Griswold is known as the man that painted a picture in 1921 of a plan for beautifying the ground north of Superior Street in the bend of the St. Mary's River.  This land is now home to Headwaters Park.

This playground will entertain kids with two play sets that feature slides and other amenities and a swing set.

East Central Playlot

Eastside Playlot

Size in acres: 1.0

Since 1974

The Eastside Playlot is located at the intersection of Roy Street and Reynolds Street. For more detailed location information, check out the General Park Map  or East Central Map 

History: In 1971 Harold & Elizabeth Palmer granted the Park & Recreation Department an exclusive license for $1 to use the area now called East Side for recreational purposes.  This license was granted on a year to year basis.  In 1980 the play lot nearly was lost through delinquent taxes. The lot was secured by the Parks and Recreation Department to allow for its continued use as a recreation area.

The Eastside Playlot features a playground with multiple slides and other amenities as well as a swing set.

 

Gren Park  Gren Park

Gren Park   

Size in acres: 5.9

Since 1981

Gren Park is located on Trinity Boulevard off of Cambridge Boulevard. For more detailed location information, check out the General Park Map  or Gren Park Map 

History:  Growing up in the Depression-era Midwest was difficult to say the least, but for the children of a certain north side neighborhood there was always one place where they could go to play away those less than bountiful days. To most it appeared as nothing more than a vacant lot, but to the children who spent their summer days there playing baseball, hide and seek and carefully steering their bicycles through its winding trails, it was much more than that. For them, it was a refuge from the unrelenting siege of the Great Depression. To those children, it was known simply as The Park.

For Jack Gren, one of those children, The Park never lost its place in his heart, even after he grew to adulthood, earned a Ph.D and became a successful business and education consultant.  He bought the vacant lot and in 1981 donated it to the citizens of Fort Wayne. It was renamed Gren Park in his honor.

"The Park" is much more than a vacant lot now and has an open air shelter, playground equipment, and a walking path plus plenty of open space so children today can still make memories. 

WHAT TO DO

Scroll down for more information about our park features:

Pavilion

Pavilion

Gren Park features an open air shelter that is available on a first come/first served basis.

Playground

Playground

Children will enjoy the playground that features two play sets with multiple slides and a swing set.

Walking Path

Walking path

A 1/4 mile paved walking path loops around the park.

Playground  Basketball court

Brackenridge Playground 

Size in acres: .38
Since 1970

Brackenridge Playground is located at Brackenridge Street and Monroe Street. For more detailed location information, check out the General Park Map  or Brackenridge Playground Map 

History:The land for this park was purchased in May of 1968. The land was purchased from Samuel (Jack) and Lillian Ganaway ($1,500), Naomi Phillips ($570), Bob Patterson and Ida Mae Pipkin ($1,775), and Dora Peoples ($1,500).

In September of 1969 Maxwell Tree Company furnished and planted two lovely maple trees that added to the beauty and shade of the vest pocket park. In November of 1969 Harold (Mick) McMillen donated two complete basketball backstops for that park. Lights were requested to be added to the basketball court in October of 1969 and were to be completed by the end of the year. A fence on the north and west sides of the park was added in July of 1971 along with play ground equipment and a hard surface area for the basketball courts.

Brackenridge features a playset with multiple slides and other amenities as well as a swing set.  A basketball court is available for use at the south edge of the park.

RFW Logo Hori RGB 01

IMAP.NEW

NOW AVAILABLE!  Search for parks, trails, activities and more.

We want your feedback!

new_blue_64x64Take our on-line survey now!
This quick and easy survey will only take 1 minute or less and will provide us with valuable information!

Upcoming Events

Christmas Through the Ages
27 Nov 2021  10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Pictures with Santa
3 Dec 2021   3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Santa & Reindeer Saturdays
4 Dec 2021  12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Christmas on the Farm
4 Dec 2021   1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Wassail
5 Dec 2021   4:00 pm - 6:30 pm

Translate Content

enfrderues

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

treecityusalogosm kaboom_logo_narrow playful cityBirdTownIndianaLogo

Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation Department  705 E. State Blvd.   Fort Wayne, IN 46805  (260) 427-6000 • Office hours: Monday-Friday 8 am-5 pm  parkswebmaster@cityoffortwayne.org