Comments from former Campers and Parents
*This is such an outstanding camp. I am so impressed with the history and tradition. My kids have a great time, learn a lot and can’t wait to be CIT’S! Heather B.
*Great program! Angela G.
*Keep up the good work! Ann G.
*Franke Park Day Camp is a wonderful adventure for the kids! They can’t wait to do it again next summer! Stephanie W.
*I have been very pleased with this program since my son started attending when he was 6 all the way through to our two daughters attending. Heather F.
*I grew up in Fort Wayne and did not attend Day Camp-didn’t know about it. I wish I could have. It is a wonderful program. I wish they had something similar in South Bend. Thank you for this amazing experience. Michele M.
*Franke Day Camp has become an enjoyable family tradition that our kids look forward to attending each summer. Mike & Staci M.
*The counselors are so engaging and fun for our kids. They keep the pace of the camp fun and interesting. Without the awesome counselors, it wouldn’t be as great, so good job on your hiring practices! Linda B.
*They enjoyed being outside and doing activities that they normally don’t have the opportunity to do. Thank you for providing this unique program. Michele B.
*My daughter’s counselor Courtney was so good with the children. My daughter had a great time because of her counselor. She had a lot of Fun Times. Lisa W.
*This is the one camp my kids say they HAVE to go to every year! Rebecca S.
*Nature! Friendships! Counselors! Activities! That’s why our families keep coming back! Helen H.
Testimonials from Past Years
· A wonderful and trustworthy place to share with my kids! Thanks! Maria E.
· I love that Franke Day Camp is something special I can share with my children. I went to Franke Day Camp for ten years and loved every minute of it. We sing the songs all summer long. ---Jennifer S.
· The CIT program taught my son leadership skills. He realized this at soccer practice where he was leading the Defense. He said the skills he learned working as a CIT allows him to positively encounter and direct the freshman and sophomores. ---Darlene C.
· I attended Franke Day Camp as a child, as did my mother, my daughter and my grandson. Four generations have attended and we love it! –Tracy S.
· I feel good knowing that my children are participating in and enjoying a camp with such a positive history that dates back several decades. ---Catherine P.
· An excellent camp program that my kids enjoy year after year. ---Renee S.
· This is our third generation of campers and as soon as our daughter is old enough, she will enjoy the camp as well! The tradition and values continue! –Tasha H.
· My son has attended Franke Park Day camp two years in a row. He loves camp and loves his counselors. I love that he’s making fun childhood memories! ---Heidi W.
· Keep it up! It provided stability to my child’s life! Laurenel H.·
· Franke Park Day Camp is a great opportunity for children to explore nature and the outdoors in a safe, supervised environment! Not to mention having fun and getting dirty with mom’s approval! ---Alissa S.
· This was our first year at Franke Park and we loved it! My son came home after the first day and said he was going back next year! –Carla T.
· My daughter is part Native American and really embraces this opportunity to be exposed to that culture. –Julie P.
* My kids and nephews and nieces have looked forward each year to the fun and traditional Franke Day Camp! Kids can still be kids! Thank you. Helen Hershberger.
* We love all of the programs Park & Recreation offers, from the concerts to the camps, all are worth the money! Deb and Duane Warnick
* It is hard to believe that my child has attended Franke Park Day Camp for 13 years! It is an incredible program and would highly recommend it to parents of children of all ages. Keep up the good work. Deborah Vian
* My children are third generation of campers at Franke Day Camp. We love Franke Day Camp. Angela F.
* Both of my children loved Day Camp and are still singing the songs weeks later. I did not attend as a child and am so glad that I decided to send my children. Both of them brought friends and they loved it just as much. We can't wait for next year. Jodi B.
* This is a great program. We started by sending our 1st granddaughter in 1996. We now have 8 grandchildren and as part of their birthday present we send as many as want to go to Franke. They all love it and look forward to it all summer. Georgia M.
* Mr. Freehill does an excellent job! Best camp! Denny Gerlock would be very proud of him! Carrie B.
* Thank you for your time and commitment in making this a positive experience for my kids. My son is more apt to contribute and help out than he was before the program. He has learned the joy of being part of a group and being helpful. Donna S.
* We love the tradition of Franke Par! My son feels liked, safe, appreciated and he always looks forward to summer to attend camp. He loves all the camp offers and wants to be a camp CIT and a counselor when he can. Heather H.
* I thought they put it together really well and they did everything I would want to do. Ray (age 10).
* My son has been participating in the camp since he was a little boy and he just completed his 4th year of being a CIT and absolutely loves the program. He attended all but one week this summer and looks forward to his last CIT year next summer. Rita D.
* At Franke Day Camp my child always feels like part of a huge family. She will talk about her adventures all year long awaiting the next summer for new adventures! D. Stump
* I think Franke Day Camp is one of Fort Wayne's best kept secrets. Both my girls think Franke is the highlight of the year. Nancy T.
* The camp staff is very caring and enthusiastic. My children always look forward to attending and learn more each year. I knew they are in a safe, fun, educational environment. I'm proud the program is still going strong! Amy B.
* Having the children involved in the program over the past 20 years the camp has maintained high standards, staff dedicated to the campers and a great environment for the kids to have fun and make friends. J.T.
* Chris Freehill is the best. Our boy's loved the camp. Everyday was different and exciting. As parents we were happy with the safe secure environment. Nothing is better for children to get outside and explore nature. Rod & Sue F.
* Going to Franke Park was always something I most look forward to in the summer. I couldn't wait for my children to have the same experiences. Gretchen A.
* Franke teaches children respect for nature, respect for other children, and respect for Native American culture and is a week of good clean fun! Plus no video games, computers or cell phones. Judy C.
*By the way, your program is one of the finest I've seen. My children all (5 of them) went when Denny Gerlock ran it. Now their children are going. I hope to live to have great grand children going singing the same old songs. Thank you and the whole staff for keeping the tradition alive. Joan U.
*Chris Freehill is a true blessing, what an asset he is for the program. I
hope he continues with the program for years ahead. Sarah
*The counselors are great at making the kids feel special. This year my middle son’s counselor knew that he loves cicadas so she collected a bunch of them from her own yard, took digital pictures of a cicada emerging and brought these in for my son! That is above and beyond the call of duty! Doreen C.
*I loved Franke Park Day Camp as a child and my children love it just the same! It is a wonderful program. They want to stay with it all the way through and look forward to becoming CIT’s, then possibly someday becoming counselors. Ashley H.
*Three generations of our family have attended Franke! We hope to make it to the sixth generation. Monica W.
*Franke Park Day Camp has helped my daughter develop confidence and leadership skills in a natural, low-pressure setting with great counselors to offer encouragement and, if necessary, discipline. Karen F.
*Every day my children came home so excited that they couldn’t stop talking about all the fun they had at camp. They sang the songs for months after camp! Cindy S.
*Never give up doing a great job. Miguel H., age 7
Comments from the staff
When asked whether staff would be a Franke Day Camp counselor again, the overwhelming response is always Yes! Some of the comments are below:
Comments from the 2011 Staff:
· I love sharing the program with campers. I also enjoy bonding with staff each year. (1)
· It is the best feeling to be a counselor to kids who are interested in nature and the program. I love this job. (1)
· This is such a unique camp and the organization of Chris keeps everything running smoothly. (1)
· This is my favorite job, and I can’t believe this program exists! (1)
· This is the best summer job. The staff is like a family and working with the kids is fun and rewarding. (1)
· My fun-filled days pass by quickly and I feel greatly rewarded (although exhausted-in a good way!) at the end of the day. (1)
· The experience has been awesome. It is crazy that we get paid to have the opportunity to play with kids outdoors all day. Not a negative thing to say. (1)
Comments from past staff:
* I would love to be a counselor again. I love everything about this camp and I think it is a great experience for the kids. I'm happy to be apart of it.
* I love being with the kids and not only watching them have fun but having fun myself.
* The program is well organized and provides a great experience for interacting with children.
* The staff is great. I learned a lot over the summer and I think overall it was a great experience.
* I would be in a heartbeat. The kids are phenomenal and the staff is unmatched.
* I would love to be a counselor again. This has been as great as being a campers was if not better.
* The job is rewarding and our supervisor is a great leader and an outstanding boss.
* I think that Franke is a wonderful place to work. The staff is like a family and nothing is better than playing with kids in the woods all day, it keeps me young at heart.
* The kids are so much fun. Supervisor is great and program is well organized.
* It is great to work with such a great group of people and the kids are amazing.
* I love the kids and this job.
* It's a great summer job!
* This is the most fun and rewarding job I have ever had.
* I love the program, the children and my peers. The ensemble is wonderful!
* I love the outdoors and working with the children and the tradition of Franke Park Day Camp.
* Counseling kids is a dream come true. The staff, supervisors and especially the kids bring boundless job! My cup overruns.
*It's a very rewarding experience as well as one I'll never forget. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. You bet I'll be back.
*I've grown up with the camp and being a counselor makes this long experience much better.
*I love the program and what it stands for and teaches the kids. Kid's these days don't really learn about Native Americans. Also, I love kids and love working with them teaching them new things.
*Best job around. I've been at camp for 3/4 of my life.
*I couldn't ask for a more enjoyable job.
*It's very fun and also a very fulfilling experience. I enjoy sharing these experiences first hand with a new generation of children.
*I love the kids and the staff.
*I have been at Franke every year except one since I was 6 years old and I like the fun and traditions it has.