January 19, 2016
For Immediate Release
Contact: Natalie Eggeman (260-427-6028)
Public Information Officer
5th Annual Winterval Celebration Downtown
Fort Wayne, IN—Celebrate winter with a visit to downtown Fort Wayne on Saturday, January 30! The 5th Annual Winterval festival promises a full day of indoor and outdoor winter fun for all ages.
The Community Center’s FREE Winter Carnival runs from 1 – 4 pm and includes pictures with Elsa and Anna from Frozen, horse and carriage rides, face painting, games, snow crafts, indoor snowboarding, fingernail painting, ice carving demonstrations and yummy treats to warm you inside and out. The Community Center is located at 233 W. Main St.
The Botanical Conservatory has Winterval activities from 10 am – 3 pm that day which include crafting a winter bird feeder, interactive displays, an ice carving demonstration and refreshments. Don’t forget to explore the “Dig This!” exhibit and search for fossils and dinosaur bones.
A long list of downtown venues will also offer plenty of fun for the whole family, many providing discounts and refreshments:
- 9 am – 3 pm, Freeze Frame Picture Car & Truck Show & Model Car, Truck and Hobby Show, $10 Entry, Spectators Free, First Presbyterian Church, 300 W. Wayne St.
- 10 am – 5 pm, Nouvelle Annee: A French Garrison 1756, Bake Sale, Hot Cocoa/Coffee, Free Admission, The Old Fort (Historic Fort Wayne), 1201 Spy Run Ave.
- 10 am – 5 pm, Science Central, ½ off admission, Glacial Gak Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream, “Roll, Drop, Bounce” Exhibit, Free vision screening.
- 10 am – 3 pm, Winterval at the Conservatory (See above.)
- 11 am – 10 pm, Public Skating at Headwaters Ice Rink, Fort Wayne Ice Skating Club Exhibitions at 1:15, 2:15, 3:15 and 4:15. Regular Admission.
- 12 – 4 pm, Allen County Public Library, Bookmark Craft (1 – 4 pm), Bicentennial Photo Booth and Adult Postcard Coloring (1 – 4 pm), Lego Building (2 – 4 pm)
1 pm, Snow Bowl Rugby Game, Free Admission, FW Rugby Football Club vs. IPFW, Taylor University and Indiana Wesleyan Rugby Clubs, Lawton Park, 1900 N. Clinton St.
- 1 – 4 pm, Winter Carnival, Community Center (See above.)
- 2 pm, Fort Wayne Youtheatre presents “Celebrate Indiana,” Community Center, 233 W. Main St.
NEW THIS YEAR: Penguin Hunt
The Winterval penguin will be hanging out downtown in the days prior to Winterval. Go to www.majic951.com each morning for clues to its location for the day. Find the penguin, take a selfie and send it to the WintervalFW Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Wintervalfw) to be entered into the daily prize drawing. During the Winterval event, a Grand Prize winner will be selected from those who participated.
LIVE ICE CARVINGS—Watch ice sculptors create their masterpieces.
- 11 am Botanical Conservatory, 1100 S. Calhoun St.
- 12 pm Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza
- 2 pm Community Center, 233 W. Main St.
PRESCULPTED ICE CARVINGS—Stop by these sites at your convenience that day to see completed ice carvings:
- Hoppy Gnome, 203 E. Berry St.
- Riverfront Fort Wayne, 916 S. Calhoun St.
- Visit Fort Wayne, 927 S. Harrison St.
- Saint Francis Performing Arts Center, 431 W. Berry
- Freimann Square, 200 E. Main St.
More information and photos can be found at www.WintervalFW.com. Winterval is sponsored by Majic 95.1, the Downtown Improvement District, Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation and is part of the Allen County celebration of the Indiana Bicentennial.