Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department
Capital Improvement Narratives
The following are capital improvement projects that are planned for the coming year at the Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department parks and facilities. In addition, The City of Fort Wayne continues to invest in the Parks & Recreation Department!
The following 2018 Projects have been completed:
- Foellinger Theatre Performer Area Improvements Project
- Various Parks Paving Improvements (Salomon, Reservoir, Memorial)
- Various Parks Playground Improvements (Camp Allen, Kreager, Hamilton, Lions, Johnny Appleseed)
- Ivan Lebamoff Reservoir Park Pond Improvements
- Ivan Lebamoff Reservoir Park Parking Lot Improvements
- Salomon Farm Learning Center Expansion Project
- Packard Park Futsall Court Improvements
- Shoaff Park Restroom/Shelter Building
- Franke Park Harris Road Police Canine Training Facility
- Buckner Park Playground Safety Surfacing Improvement
Check out the 2018 Project Update PowerPoint Presentation to view pictures of some of these projects!
The following ongoing Projects will continue into 2019:
- Promenade Park Construction
- Salomon Homestead Improvements
- Franke Park Spy Run Creek Improvements Phase 1A
- Botanical Conservatory Water Infiltration Improvements
- Bloomingdale Park Riparian Improvements
- Ivan Lebamoff Reservoir Park Letterbed Improvements
- Foster Park Golf Cart Path Improvements
- Freimann Square Pool Liner Improvements
- Guldlin Park Dock and Ramp Improvements
- Franke Park Master Plan
- Shoaff Park Conklin Pavilion Patio Improvements
The following parks and facilities have improvements scheduled for 2019:
- Botanical Conservatory Connector Project
- Weisser Park Youth Center Roof Improvements
- Memorial Park Playground Safety Surfacing Improvements
- Johnny Appleseed Park Restroom Building Project
- Community Center Multi-Purpose Room Flooring Improvements
- McMillen and Memorial Park Pool Equipment Improvements
- McMillen and Memorial Park Pool Shade Structure Improvements
- Salomon Park Paving Improvements
- Foster Pavilion #3 improvements
- Foster Park Cart Path Improvements Phase II
- Waynedale Gardens Playground Improvements
- Shoaff Park Conklin Pavilion Roof Improvements
For a current status report on the various projects, please check out the following information on-line: Current Status Report on Capital Improvement Projects
If you would like to view Parks Paving Improvements at Memorial, Reservoir and/or Salomon, please see the 2018 Paving Park Board Model
Buckner Park Playgrounds
Buckner Playgrounds- installed new artificial turf safety surfacing system with better safety fall rating and ADA accessibility. Another benefit of this project is to better blend with grass fields.
Packard Park Pavilion before and after.
- Laminate countertops with bullnose edge and backsplash
- Water-resistant cabinet bases and shelves
- ADA accessible sink and service window opening
- Durable, epoxy floor treatment in kitchen and restrooms
- High-performance and highly durable wall paneling system
- Brighter and energy-saving LED lighting throughout
Newly renovated Foellinger Theatre lower level featuring upgraded amenities including seven dressing rooms, two new restrooms with showers, a private lounge, a spacious green room, a production office, storage space, heating and cooling and drainage improvements.
Shoaff Park Restrooms & Open Air Shelter
A restroom facility including an open air shelter is conveniently located next to the playground/sprayground area in the park.
Spy Run Shelter
The shelter at Spy Run has new fencing and was painted.
McMillen Park Community Center
Infrastructure Improvements include:
New parking lot on the north end and new pathway and parking lot lights. New drive to the top side of Cooper Community Center.
Salomon Farm Park
Homestead Renovation, Learning Center Addition and Parking Lot enhancements.
Memorial Park Grove
Thanks to the Warrior Breed Motorcycle Club for raising funds for an additional 71 trees that were planted in Memorial Park Grove. The trees represent the men and women from Allen County who died in Active Service during WWI. A total of four species were planted including: white oak, hackberry, elm and tulip.
Old lights at Freimann Square were obsolete. Finding parts proved difficult and a move toward better efficient lights was important so the old lighting was replaced with LED lights. Future phases are being planned to replace all the single light heads.
Tentatively opening summer of 2018 a restroom facility and open air shelter. This building will be located adjacent to the Shoaff Park splashpad. The new Shoaff Park sign was recently installed at the entrance.
Improvements to the Waynedale pavilion include: 5 Beams were replaced and new concrete poured on the patio.
Before/after pictures showing the Tennis Courts in need of repair. The courts have now been color coated.
The lighting, irrigation & fencing is complete for the patio and gutter project. The landscaping is in progress.
Bob Arnold Northside Park
New concrete walkway
Memorial Park Splashpad
A new surface was installed around the splashpad.
In the Long House ceiling fans were installed.
Wells Street Beam Improvements
Work on the Dugout
McMillen Park Community Center
New flooring installed throughout the Center.
Court improvements to volleyball courts.
Salomon Farm Park
The Farmstead addition was removed to take the home back to the original footprint.
Concrete work is now complete for the new Klug Park walking path. The new Legacy Arch was installed this winter.
Improvements at Foellinger Theatre include: powerwashing, priming and painting as well as working on the drains and other projects.
Court improvements were made at Lions Park for all courts.
Kreager Park-Taylor's Dream Boundless Playground
This new Cozy Cocoon is great for children with Autism.
Johnny Appleseed Campground
Three new HVAC units were installed at Johnny Appleseed Campground in the restrooms and laundry area.
Franke Park Day Camp
Upgrades to Franke Park Day Camp include 1 new HVAC in the kitchen and 3 new HVAC units in the Nature Lodge. In addition, replacing doors slabs off the hallway.
Installed new ADA compliant walk and fixed broken concrete.
Franklin School Park
Franklin School Park Phase I is now open to the public. This phase includes the renovation of the arches, family restrooms in the pavilion, site work and a new splash pad. Read more on the Franklin School Park link!
New parking gate installed at the Community Center.
The following include completed 2016 Projects:
- Franklin School Park: Phase One
- Buckner Park: Splash Pad
- Courthouse Green: Accessible Ramp and Sidewalk Improvements
- Franke Park: Park/Children’s Zoo Entryway Sign Installed, BMX Fence Improvements, Bleacher Improvements, Day Camp ADA Pathway and HVAC Installed, Foellinger Theatre Exterior Painted, Signage, Concrete Ramp and Loading Dock Improvements
- Salomon Farm Park: Learning Center Parking Lot and Homestead Improvements
- Packard Park: Ball Diamond and Sidewalk Improvements
- Community Center: Parking Gate and New Kitchen Flooring Installed, Sound Equipment Improvements
- Foster Park: Volleyball Court Improvements
- Lions Park: New Concrete Pathways and Signage Installed, Outfield Fence Improvements
- Lawton Park: Cannon Monument Restoration
- Johnny Appleseed Park: Campground Signage and Drainage Improvements, Campground Restroom Climate Control Installed
- Indian Village Park: Sidewalk Improvement
- Klug Park: ADA Swing Installed
- Kreager Park: Cozy Cocoon Playground Addition
- Waynedale Park: Drinking Fountain Improvements
- Lions Park: Pickleball Court Improvements
- Headwaters Park: Riverfront Floating Dock Project
- Shoaff Park: Completed Pathway Around Golf Course
- Various Parks: Bicentennial Benches and Plaques Installed in 19 Parks
Purdue Cardinal Community Hoops & Managed Health Services (MHS) Donate Funds to Improve Basketball Court at Jennings Recreation Center
Read more about this great investment in the youth of this community!
This new playground piece was added at Lions Park. This piece is inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales, the playground structure has two facades: one side tells the story of the “The Ugly Duckling,” and the other side tells the story of “The Little Mermaid.”
Learn more about The Smart Playground from KOMPAN.
Camp Canine opened in July of 2015!
Resurfaced Swinney Tennis Courts
Packard Park Site Improvements
- Improved site drainage around the pavilion with perforated drain tile.
- Improved deteriorated Concrete patio/ walks.
- Connected concrete walk from Pavilion to Tennis courts.
- Added additional 520 Square feet of patio area.
- Installed dumpster pad and improved concrete drive approach to pavilion
Foster #1 Kitchen Upgrade
Northside Park parking lot improvements to various lots in the park
Weisser Center flooring improvements
Salomon Farm parking lot improvements
Salomon Farm water fountain/spigot improvements
Shoaff Park tennis and parking lot improvements
Franke #1 upgraded kitchenette: cabinets, countertops and sinks for ADA compliance.